Sunday, October 26, 2008

Do you want to take better pictures?

Hi, thanks for reading this post, this blog.

Those of you who know me, know I shoot weddings professionally, either photo or video. Those of you who don't know me, well, if you are reading this, now you know, too :)

I'll be taking pictures at a wedding, or somewhere else, for that matter, and I'll see someone else also snapping some shots. I'm totally ok with that, unlike some other photographers who don't like to share the bride with everyone else who is there :)

I'll see the person with the camera, they're smiling, they see the "perfect photo" in their eyes. You know they're excited to get this shot. This will be the shot that justifies why they bought this new camera. The one that's better than the one they bought last year, right?

"SNAP"

Then they look at the digital display on the back of their camera, and they get that sad look. They're confused, bummed maybe. Its not exactly what they saw. Might not even be close to what they saw! Maybe they'll look at the camera a bit, consider pressing some buttons or fiddling with some dials, or more often they'll take exactly the same picture again, thinking some how, magically, it will work this time. Usually not, right? So they wander off, put the camera on the table next to their purse or sunglasses, grab a beer, or go dancing or what ever else you do at a wedding when you're not blinding someone with a flash :) Don't ask me, I hardly ever put my camera down at a wedding, so I have no idea what else there is to do, and I almost never dance :)

So, ok, that maybe was a bit long winded. Here's the reason for the post, ok? Would it be worth an hour of your time, to learn how to get more of your pictures to turn out better?

Here's my plan, and I'm hoping to get some feedback. I know stuff about getting cameras to take the picture you see, before your camera blows it for you. I think I can help you. I know there are probably as many courses on the internet, as there are cameras sitting on tables at receptions, and frustrated "photographers" who are dancing and drinking instead of taking great pictures!

Lets say you spent $100, or $200, or "gasp" $1500 on a digital camera. Wouldn't it make sense to spend $19.95 to get a DVD that could teach you how to take better pictures? I'm not saying you'll go out and start shooting weddings...

So either email me, at carlin.comm@gmail.com (there's probably a link somewhere here to do that for you) or post a comment here on this blog. Tell me if you'd be interested in learning how to take better pics. And also tell me what camera you have. If you're thinking of buying a new camera, let me know what you'd be willing to spend, I might be able to help you pick a new camera out that would suit you. Deal?

Thanks for reading :)
Carlin in Seattle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Testing comments :)